PRESS RELEASE: ROAD & TRAVEL Magazine Announces 2008 International Car of the Year Awards Winners DETROIT, Jan. 12 /PRNewswire/ -- ROAD & TRAVEL Magazine (RTM) announced its 12th Annual International Car of the Year Awards (ICOTY) winners at a black tie ceremony today.
Held at the MGM Grand Detroit, RTM hosted more than 600 industry leaders and media on the eve of press week of the North American International Auto Show.
A jury of nationally-renowned automotive journalists selected the award- winning vehicles with ballots tabulated by J.D. Power and Associates. And the winners are:
* International Car of the Year: Honda Accord Sedan
* International Truck of the Year: Chrysler Town & Country
* Pick Up Truck of the Year: "Most Athletic" GMC Sierra Denali
* Sports Car of the Year: "Most Sex Appeal" Audi R8
* Sedan of the Year: "Most Dependable" Honda Accord Sedan
* Luxury Car of the Year: "Most Respected" Mercedes-Benz S63 AMG
* Minivan of the Year: "Most Compatible" Chrysler Town & Country
* Entry Level Car of the Year: "Most Spirited" Volvo C30
* Crossover of the Year: "Most Versatile" Buick Enclave
* SUV of the Year: "Most Resourceful" Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid "
The ICOTY Award's unique theme focuses on the emotional connection between car and consumer; how vehicles reflect our lifestyles and self image, an attitude the average consumer can identify with," said RTM Editor-in-Chief Courtney Caldwell.
"It's about how we feel about our cars and how our cars make us feel." To drive this point home, RTM readers were polled on how they felt about their cars, the results of which were very revealing. Opening remarks at the ICOTY event were made by Congressman John D. Dingell, the "Dean of the House of Representatives," and Chairman of the Committee on Energy and Commerce.
In addition, U.S. Senator Carl Levin, RTM Editor-in-Chief Courtney Caldwell and Edmunds.com Editorial Director Kevin Smith co-presented the inaugural EARTH ANGEL Award, to General Motors Corporation as the most environmentally-friendly automaker. The award, sponsored by Bridgestone, was created to shine a spotlight on the positive strides automakers are making with global warming issues on a worldwide level.
RTM recognized veteran automotive journalist Thos L. Bryant, editor-in- chief of Road & Track, with its 5th annual Lifetime Achievement Award. RTM also presented its annual HEART STRING Award for best car commercial in 2007 for Dodge Caravan's "Rooms."
Monday, January 14, 2008
Posted by The 'C' Team at 6:16 AM